Weekend Running and Eating Updates
Hello! How’s it going? I have a quick recap of this weekend’s running, eating, and … repeating. Oh, and I FINALLY listened to a good book. Thank God. The last two were no Bueno – I needed a good listen!
First… Let’s talk RUNNING.
The long Run
I set out for my long run this weekend with a route in mind and was almost foiled when I was this TRAIL CLOSED sign a few miles into it. I haven’t run this route in a while and I’m not super familiar with the streets in this area so I got a little stressed when the detour just took you out to the street.
Luckily, there were a few cyclists passing at the same time and I knew I had to RUN SUPER FAST to keep up with them and follow them to wherever the detour went!!
Then, I remembered 2 things:
a.) I was doing a long run and needed to pace myself and run smart
b.) There’s NO WAY I could keep up with them – they were flying!
But I did watch where they were going to figure out how to find the rest of the trail.
LONG RUN NOTES:
- I miscalculated the distance and ended up back at my car around mile 11. I was going loop back to add on 3 more miles but my foot started to feel a little sensitive so I ended up heading back to my car and made it to 12 miles. I felt really good though! Cardio-wise I finally feel stronger, like I’m getting back in running shape.
- Footnotes (Ha!) – It’s hard to describe what I mean when I say my foot felt sensitive… it’s not really painful. It’s definitely not a sharp or shooting feeling. There’s just a lil twinge. It’s a small feeling of tightness and makes me step a bit differently than my usual gait to ‘baby’ it. <- That’s not good as you can injure other areas of your body if you change your gait to favor one side.
- I felt okay after but was really worried about it. I just signed up for 4 Disney races!! It scares me to think it’s re-injured. Aaaaand that makes it worse because I often have physical reactions to stress. Being stressed can contribute to a stress fracture.
- This has happened several times since I broke my foot. So on one hand (foot?) I need to remember that and relax.
- But… when I first hurt my foot it didn’t actually hurt at first. The first signs were just a small twinge and my foot felt a lil swollen in my shoes. Since it didn’t hurt I kept running – completely unaware that those were signs of a stress reaction. It ended up breaking a few days later.
- Related – Diego pulled me like a freight train from Hell on our walk Friday because he saw his best friend (Ben). He listens pretty well when I walk him most of the time but if he sees Ben – he’s a 100 pound wild animal. <- I remembered this Sunday as I was trying to think about what triggered my foot to feel sensitive. (We never figured out what exactly caused the break in the first place as it didn’t seem to be an overuse injury. I think there was a Diego element to it furrr sure.)
Moving Forward: I’m doing all the recovery things to help my foot feel 100% and taking a few extra days of rest. Will report back with more.
I spent much of the weekend with my lil brother, Matt. Our parents went to Yosemite so Matt and I decided to throw a massive party at the house.
Except by ‘massive party’ I mean – I went to sleep early and we washed our cars the next morning. Nerds.
In what i’m eating News…
I have a big Costco grocery haul and stocked up on my favorites…
Yes, that’s 2 watermelons in my cart. Don’t judge.
And I scored this Kevita Kombucha at the 99 cents only store. It made me very happy.
We hit up Yogurtland and I saw this new flavor – Milk n’ Fruity Cereal. I’ve been seeing this delicious combo all over and it makes me want to make another batch of Cereal Milk!
Back at the house I realized someone (read: Matt!) left a little bit of several different cereals. This was perfect!!
You can make the Cereal Milk Smoothie Recipe with your favorite flake cereal OR combine a mash-up of leftovers. Boom.
Diego’s weekend update: When he’s not pulling like I’m Santa Claus and his name is Rudolph, he’s picking up pinecones on our walk. He used to do this all the time as a puppy, but stopped for some reason. I love to see it.
In Audible News…
I just finished Eliza Starts a Rumor by Jane L Rosen.
I’m so grateful that I finally listed to a good book after the last two duds. I listen to books on Audible while running, eating or repeating and could have easily finished this over the weekend. I ‘saved’ the last hour for Monday morning’s workout.
I’ll have a review of the last 3 books I’ve listened (including this one) to posted Wednesday. Stay tuned!
In Running Meme News…
I posted this on Instagram (@RunEatRepeat) and wanted to share here. It’s funny because it’s true.
Running is like an onion… each layer smells and sometimes it makes you cry. contact us